Yay! I managed to squeeze in one more painting by year's end. I was very pleased with the results of today's painting, although not so much with the photo of it. Couldn't seem to get a lovely crisp reproduction because I still haven't learnt to use my camera properly!
I could hear Greg Baker's voice (see blog for 27th Nov) in my head today while painting, which was a good thing. It helped me do better with the tone. I also put more effort in on the foundations before starting on the detail.
I was also quite pleased at the composition of the painting which I cobbled together from a photo I had taken a week or two ago. Mostly when I've painted from photos I get bogged down in trying to faithfully reproduce them - colours and all. Not that I ever succeed of course but it doesn't stop me trying.
This is the same hydrangea that I used for reference last time but it had changed colour somewhat since I took the first round of photo reference shots. When I bought it, it was an elegant creamy colour with purple highlights. I didn't realise that it was just in its adolescence and it soon matured into a lovely vibrant purpley, blue colour.