Tuesday 5 February 2013

Workshop with Leon Holmes

Yesterday I attended a full day painting workshop with Leon Holmes at the lovely Marie Turner's house who was hosting the event. Leon did his demonstration from the balcony which offered panoramic views across bushland and rooftops with the Indian ocean in the distance.
It was such a great day.  The sea breeze was in and everyone was lovely.  Leon paints in oils and I learnt so much from him despite the fact that I paint in acrylics. He is an amazing artist who achieves such vibrancy and a great sense of place in his work. Marie is also a fantastic artist who works predominantly in watercolours.
                                           Acrylic on board 12" x 9"

After the demonstration we all did our own paintings. I did mine (above) from a photo I had taken of Trigg beach a year or so ago.  Leon helped me to crop the photo to a more suitable composition which was an insight for me.  I hadn't realised until then that I'd been overlooking some obvious rules of composition. The above is where I got it to with a few pertinent pointers from Leon.  The painting below is after Leon demonstrated to me on how to use other techniques to get different outcomes which was fantastic. It still needs more work but I might just leave it there so I will be able to see and remember all the salient points that I learnt. I will try out my new insights onto a new painting. It was a very rewarding and enjoyable day.


16 comments:

  1. Your workshop looks like it was very rewarding! I love the colors and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Celia! Yes, it's great to get tips from the experts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,
    Your paintings look good! Love the colours in the water. It is so great to attend workshops when one is able, isn't it?
    I find I get something from every workshop i've attended. Then when i'm painting away on my own, i might remember a tip and somehow incorporate it into my own methods...almost like hearing the voice of the instructor in my ear. I love taking workshops from different people whose work I admire.
    Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sally! Yes, I've only been to two workshops but both times I felt I learnt so much. It's like a hothouse environment where the intensity of the day makes things stick in your mind.
      Wendy

      Delete
  4. Hello Wendy!
    Fantastic work!
    I love seascapes and both of these are wonderful!
    I am glad you enjoyed the demonstration! Sounds like Leon is a great teacher!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments Michael!
      I've been enjoying your Monet and Van Gogh period!
      Paint on!!
      Wendy

      Delete
  5. Lovely seascape. Great blues and warm colors too. Looked like a wonderful workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Robin! Yes, it was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing more fun than a great workshop! Your painting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Love the vibrant colors and I always like hearing about workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for visiting Maria, and for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like the perfect day! Beautiful work, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy,

    I see you like painting waves too. Seems you got a bit more life into it. That's a hard one to pull off a good composition.

    ~Randall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Randall, I have just looked at your blog and LOVE your wave paintings!!

    ReplyDelete