Wednesday 13 February 2013

In-Progress

                                                            5" x 7"
Having a blog is a great motivating tool for me. I know without doubt that if I hadn't set up my painting blog  in August last year, my weekly painting habit would have bitten the dust long ago.  Having made a commitment in public (initially to an audience of one - or maybe less) that I would endeavour to paint for a few hours every week, I felt compelled to keep my word.
With blog-post expectations breathing down my neck each week, there was none of this nonsense of just waiting around for inspiration to bite me, no, I just had to get on with it.
At the same time I have also been writing, so free time for procrastinating is not thick on the ground.

I feared that I might not finish this painting that I have been working on today, so I thought if I posted it, then I would feel compelled to finish it off.  I still intend to improve on what is already there, and add a few more pieces on to the table.  I'm just not sure what to add and where to put it as yet.  I have been working from this photo I took a couple of weeks ago.


I think I am being a little optimistic at being able to invent and move things around as I just don't have the skills yet to get shadows and tone right on things I can see, let alone things I'm fabricating. I would love some lessons in still-life composition and in how to loosen up. I see so many amazing blogs of people who do fantastic still-life paintings.  I aspire to being somewhere in the vicinity of their talent one of these days.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, I like what your working on and can relate to all your procratination issues, I'm the same way and a blog has helped me too! I look forward to seeing your finished painting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celia, it's nice to know I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy...yes blogs certainly can give that feeling of blog-post expectations which can be a motivator. Its fun to share what you're doing with other like-minded souls. by the way i think you did a great job of painting what's not there(the green teacup)and de-cluttering the painting for a simpler composition. your eye for colour balance is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, thanks for your very encouraging comments. Now I am wondering if I should add more objects or not. I didn't want to clutter it up as much as the photo, but thought it still looked a little bare. I am looking at it with a kinder eye after your lovely comments. There is always the fear when going further with a painting that it will go past the point of no return and die a terrible death.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Wow! Great art here Wendy! I love it when the painting is better than its reference!
    It looks very finished to me!
    Big snow storm in North East USA! No power last few days! Two to three feet of snow! Will post photos later! Especially New England birds in the snow for you!
    Again, great painting Wendy!
    Your Snowy USA art buddy,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I always appreciate your exuberance! I will have to ponder my next step now that I've had some feedback.
      Sounds like you are all having a terrible time of it over there with the huge snow falls. Impossible for me to imagine what it's like having to dig your way out of it. I have seen snow a few times, but that's over 25 years ago now and it wasn't here of course. My teenage daughters have never seen snow in their lives.
      We are having the opposite here - extreme heat and bushfires burning out of control a few hours south of here.
      I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!
      Your roasting Australian art buddy,
      Wendy

      Delete
  5. Lovely still life. What a beautiful arrangement of objects and colors. Wonderful painting and I love the colors and highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your lovely comments Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you have skills to me! It's a wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan! Very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy this painting is a delight! The eye has so much to look at and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete