Friday 11 January 2013

Fabulous Fabrics

                                                Acrylic on board 7" x 5"

I painted this today for the Daily Paintworks fabric challenge. I painted from a photo I took a few months ago while buying fabric for my daughter's ballgown.  The shop assistants had kindly allowed me to take a few shots of their fabulous wares.  There were acres of glorious bolts of fabrics and displays such as this one.  There is nothing like browsing through the yet-to-be realised potential of beautiful fabrics to get the creative juices flowing.

Thankfully though, it wasn't me who would be let loose on the lovely fabric we bought.  As much as I would love to be a competent dress-maker, I've never really had a talent for it and have long since accepted the fact. Acceptance came quite easily really in the face of the hard evidence, and by my early twenties I decided to stick to cross-stitch and embroidery of which I was reasonably capable.  So I never once set foot outside in one of my own creations. Although, now that I think of it, I did make a green windcheater in my late teens and painted a huge frog on it in fabric paints. I cringe to admit that I did actually step foot outside in that one!!

My daughter created a beautiful ballgown from the fabrics we bought that day with the guidance of her amazing school sewing teacher.  She will wear it to her school ball in March.

13 comments:

  1. Wendy!
    Beautiful!
    "Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose!" James Taylor!
    Love the way you rendered the fabric.
    Great colors!
    Bravo!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric is stunning ......you've captured the blues and greens beautifully !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors and folds of the fabric are wonderful... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments Helen and Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your brushwork and colors. Great style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a lot of things about this. The angle and depth you created added space to such an interesting focal area. Your colors are quite wonderful.

    Thanks for your nice comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this painting Wendy, those teal and purples are stand-outs!

    ReplyDelete