Thursday 8 August 2019

Very Belated Birthday Gift


Acrylic on canvas - palette knife (mostly)

I finished this painting for my daughter a few weeks before her birthday. A pity it was promised for her birthday several years ago, but better late than never I always say!😄 
It was an added extra, so she didn't miss out on her previous birthday gifts.
I painted it from a photo of our local coastline and she is thrilled with it. I just need to varnish it now. Hopefully before her next birthday!

It's the second very large painting I have done in recent times. I'm not sure if I will continue with the large format as I find it very hard to keep the enthusiam up for returning to something partially finished. I get more of a thrill doing the small 6" x 6" paintings that I can finish off in a couple of hours or by the end of the day at least. However, they aren't quite as spectacular on the wall.

I did the one below at the beginning of the year, my second plein air with a palette knife. I had forgotten to pack my tube of  white, can you believe it?!!!!
I was going to give up before I started as I thought it would be a disaster, but thankfully I persisted and the unbleached titanium came to the rescue.



10 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I love painting small pieces, but I feel like it's the same painting a larger work, but it has more impact on the viewer. I enjoy that.
    Love your work, and please keep blogging.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    So lovely to hear from you! I probably just need more practise in working with the bigger pieces. My youngest daughter is also waiting for her belated birthday painting so I will be doing one more large one at least!

    I will visit your blog soon. I love your work and still remember how exciting it was to see it in person in New York!
    Hope all is going well.

    Wendyxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was so exciting. I hope we get to do that again.

      XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

      Delete
  3. Wendy - your painting is gorgeous. I am so glad to see you are back blogging again. Have missed you. Hope all is well with you sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thanks so much. Have missed you too. Not sure how "back" I am but will see how it goes:) Will check your blog out very soon. Hope all is going well.xxx

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you back Wendy. Your daughter is getting a beautiful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami, I delivered it to her on Monday and we hung it on her wall:)

      Delete
  5. better late than never and its a lovely personal gift to give :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The large painting is beautiful. Your daughter must have been touched that you finally finished it. I can't imagine going back to a painting that I started so long ago, so congrats to you for doing that and so successfully!

    ReplyDelete