Tuesday, 6 November 2012
Available as Christmas cards on Fine Art America
I began painting this last Thursday and have returned to it for a couple of hours most days since. I had run out of rectangular boards and had to use canvas. I think it took longer doing it on this rather than on board because it was harder to get the fine detail on the textured surface. However, I was quite pleased with the finished result and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I didn't try to loosen up in the end, as I liked the challenge of the fine details. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't dearly love to also be able to do this subject matter in a looser style. Hopefully I will find it easier as I continue to paint more regularly.
For anyone who is curious as to what happened to the cuttings and seeds I was trying to grow from the propagation class I did a few months ago, here is an update. Everything died!
There were half a dozen that bravely clung to life for a while, but slowly and surely the hints of green disappeared entirely. Surprisingly, this bleak outcome hasn't put me off and I hope to try again later on. In the meantime I have bought dozens of seedlings from a specialist native nursery "Lullfitz" and every single plant is thriving where I have planted them.