Wednesday, 29 August 2012
Backyard Succulent Revisited
The very first painting I did in my 10 day challenge was from a photo of a succulent I have growing in the back yard. I hadn't painted with acrylics for four or five years and even then I'd only ever done one painting. I'd totally forgotten how to use the medium which became very obvious in the finished product (see above). I was disappointed with it and vowed to try it again later down the track. Today was the day.
I used a different photo today and began laboriously trying to copy the colours and shadows exactly. There is only so much of the masochist in me and after a while I decided to stylize it which seemed to work a little better and was much easier to do.
I loved the new boards. I had previously been using stretched canvas or canvas covered boards which I found took a lot of extra paint to cover the textured surface. Today the paint felt lovely and buttery and made for a very enjoyable painting experience.
6" x 6" Acrylic on board